The Atomos Ninja 2 Video Recorder provides top quality recording but also features monitoring functions that help assess exposure, focus and calibration. Also available are intuitive signal detection and file management tools. All tasks are performed in an advanced yet simple touchscreen operating environment.
Please Note: There is a firmware update available for this product here.
Recording is at 10-bit 4:2:2 quality, in ProRes or DNxHD, directly onto HDD or SSD drives. Input and output are both by HDMI and an optional converter can be used to capture by SDI. Various serial control options include managing multiple Ninjas via an iPad over the web.
Designed compact and robust, and affording a workflow beyond just capture and output, Ninja can serve companion-like on and off the set. Also noteworthy is the Atomos history. Atomos recorders were used, for example, in James Cameron's Deep Sea Challenge.
Ninja comes packaged in a tough carrying case with a bunch of accessories including two batteries and two SDD/HDD enclosures.
- 800 x 480 Touchscreen Operating System
- HDMI Input and Output
- SDI Connection by Optional Converter
- 10-bit 4:2:2 Quality Video Capture
- Records in ProRes or Avid DNxHD
- Stores to Efficient HDD or SSD Media
- Fanless / Silent Operation
- Exposure / Focus / Calibration Tools
- External Control / Remote Web Control
- Signal Detection and More
- 10-bit 4:2:2 / 220Mbps / 2.5" HDD or SSD
- The Ninja-2 takes any uncompressed HD or SD source and encodes it in real-time to 10-bit, 4:2:2 Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD at up to 220Mbps.
Because Ninja is portable, it can record from the ultimate image source, the sensor of the camera.
Recording is always in 10-bit, even from an 8-bit source. Color registries are added for integration into higher bit-depth graphics from CG, animation and special effects. This avoids banding and makes editing and grading, in fact any precision effect, more accurate.
- AtomOS 3.0 Touchscreen
- The real power of the Ninja 2 comes from AtomOS -- an innovative and intuitive operating system.
- Access all of the Ninja 2's operations via the fast, responsive touch interface -- everything is one touch away: one-touch recording, one-touch monitoring, one-touch review, etc.
- Volume Display
- Lets you adjust the volume of the professional quality headphone amplifier.
- Audio Meters
- Touch audio meters to adjust 4 channels of audio.
- Current Input Format
- Displays native format from source signal, for example -- 1080i 59.94.
- Recording Format
- Select the variety of ProRes or Avid DNxHD codec you are recording to /
Avid DNxHD-220X (10-bit), DNxHD-220 (8-bit), DNxHD-145 (8-bit), DNxHD-36 Proxy (8-bit) + all ProRes options.
- Continuous Power Battery Indicator
- Shows which battery is currently being used to power the Ninja 2. You are free to replace the one that isn't being used, the active battery is illuminated orange.
- Choose between On Board, Time of Day, Record Run or Auto Restart timecode modes or utilize external timecode from camera or any source input.
- Unit Name
- Name your Ninja 2 by project or camera. Media drives and recorded files are subsequently named with the unit name upon formatting.
- Time Remaining
- Shows remaining record time. Remaining time is calculated dynamically and is based on the bitrate of the current recording format and the memory capacity of the HDD/SSD in use.
- Inputs / Outputs
- HDMI input / HDMI output / optional SDI input / stereo input / headphone input
Ninja 2 has HDMI input and optional SDI input / virtually any device transmitting an HDMI or HD/SD-SDI signal is compatible with the Ninja 2, including cameras, decks, switchers, routers, PCs, MAC, tablets and smart phones as well as audio equipment.
- Control individual, or multiple, Ninja 2 field recorders, in any combination via serial control from a deck, PC, Mac, or iPad/iPhone:
All functions of the Ninja 2 can be controlled from a separate device, even remotely over the internet.
Standard deck control functions are available to integrate into existing infrastructure - perfect for custom system design.
Auto record means that as soon as a signal is detected by the Ninja 2, recording will be started. Perfect for motion sensor recording or fail-safe recording from live feeds.
- Accurately assess focus and exposure with:
False Color Twin Mode
Blue Only - exposure check
Control - adjustments for individual filters
- Log in and out points on your footage and tag these clips with keywords such as 'good shot', 'bad shot' etc.
With the Ninja 2 this part of the post production process can now be done on set, or on the move, with Continuous Power.
SmartLog operates while in Monitor or Playback mode / it saves time, money and allows fast, collaborative pre-editing prior to final post production.
- Master Caddy Slot
- Simple, locking HDD/SSD system / a safe, practical solution to media management.
- HDD or SSD
- Choose inexpensive 2.5" hard disk drives (spinning disks) for 90% of projects and Flash-based SSDs for rough terrain or high security use.
A 750GB/5400rpm drive holds up to 16 hours of high quality Apple ProRes footage.
HDD: Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba
SSD: Intel, OCZ, Cruise
Call us toll free at 1-800-321-4726 for customer service & ordering.
Price, images, specifications and descriptions of items are subject to change without notice. We are not responsible for typographical or photographical errors.
Rebates & conditions, and expiration dates from manufacturers are subject to their authorization.