It's all about speed and precision. Capture the decisive moment with the Alpha SLT-A55 Digital SLR Camera Body, Sony's top-of-the-line Translucent Mirror Technology DSLR. Now you can focus and shoot simultaneously for fast, precise performance. And because the mirror never moves, the time needed to raise and lower the mirror is eliminated. This all helps continuous shooting up to 10 frames per second, complete with continuous auto focus. Auto focus is also visibly faster in Live View and HD Movie modes. There's also built-in GPS photo tagging that lets you map your memories on your compatible computer.
- Translucent Mirror Technology - Other DSLRs can shoot. Or they can focus with the speed and precision of Phase Detection AF. They cannot do both at once. The SLT-A55 is the world's first DSLR with Translucent Mirror Technology that directs light to both the image sensor and the Phase Detection AF sensor simultaneously.
- 16.2 megapixel resolution - You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements. Thanks to the 16.2 megapixel APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor APS HD CMOS technology, the camera achieves high resolution with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
- Full HD 1080/60i movies - This is one of the very few DSLRs with 1080/60i Full HD, exactly the same resolution and frame rate as most broadcast and cable HDTV channels. Records in 1080/60i AVCHD format, 1080/30p high definition in PC-friendly MP4 format and standard definition 480/30p in MP4 format.
- Auto HDR built into camera - Captures more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle-and more range than photo film. Combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second and the best shadow detail from a third for one incredible shot. Captures in a split second. (Recommended for still subjects.)
- Eye-Level Electronic Viewfinder - The Tru-finder Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) is super bright, easy to see with 1.1x magnification, ultra-sharp with 1.44 million dots (1.15 effective) and provides 100% frame coverage. Exposure preview and informative overlays make operation easy.
- Tilt/swivel 3" LCD screen - Tilt it up or down to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss. Tilt and swivel under the camera for self-portraits. Fold it flush to the camera with the LCD exposed for shooting or protected for travel.
- Live View in LCD or EVF - You can use both the LCD monitor and Electronic Viewfinder for composing shots. Both provide a what-you-see-is-what-you-get preview of white balance, focus, depth of field, exposure and 100% framing accuracy, plus informative on-screen displays.
- AUTO+ (Advanced Auto) mode - Get cleaner, more dynamic pictures and fewer missed shots. Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies, the camera automatically recognizes the correct scene mode, then quickly shoots and combines up to six shots to produce images with greater clarity, optimum dynamic range using Auto HDR technology and lower image noise using 6 shots layering technology.
- Pro-style "rack focus" movie effect - A hallmark of today's movies is the "rack focus" effect, when the cinematographer changes focus between background and foreground subjects. This usually involves careful planning, a tape measure and dedicated a crew member for "pulling" focus. With the SLT-A55V, you can perform this pro-style effect simply by changing the selected AF Area within the frame.
- Graphic Display - Clarifies the relationship between aperture and shutter speed, as well as the effect each has on photographic results.
- 1200-Zone exposure metering - Reads exposure directly from the main image sensor. Choice of Multi, Center and Spot metering accommodates a full range of shooting situations.
- Powerful supplied software - To help you refine and manage your images and video, the camera is equipped with computer software including Image Data Converter SR, Image Data Lightbox SR and Picture Motion Browser (PMB).
- HDMI output for HD viewing - Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV. The camera includes an HDMI output. In addition, the BRAVIA Sync system works with compatible Sony BRAVIA HDTVs enabling you to control camera playback using the television's remote
- Up to 330 Shots of battery life - Take up to 330 shots on a single charge with Sony Stamina battery power. Sony's InfoLITHIUM battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
- Built-in Auto Pop-Up Flash - To help you shoot more effectively, the built-in flash automatically pops up and fires as needed when the camera is set to certain scene selection modes. The built-in flash can also trigger a wireless accessory flash. The integrated hot shoe enables you to expand your lighting options with a range of accessory flashes.
- PhotoTV HD compatibility - Optimizes compatible BRAVIA televisions for gorgeous display of digital pictures
- 10 frames per second continuous - The translucent mirror makes it far easier to capture the decisive soccer kick or your baby at her absolute cutest. The Sony SLT-A55V camera shoots full, 16.2 MP resolution pictures at up to 10 fps while maintaining continuous auto focus and auto exposure.
- APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor - With 19.5 times the area of the typical camcorder image sensor, APS-C makes the difference between amateur and professional-looking video, delivering an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds.
- Multi-frame NR - Experience incredible low-light shooting without a flash. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six, it creates a single image with a reduction in noise equivalent to two additional steps of ISO sensitivity. Sensitivity selectable up to ISO 25600. (Recommended for still subjects.)
- 3D Sweep Panorama Mode - Capture vast scenic vistas and 16:9 shots in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television3. Records both JPEG and MPO file formats.
- Eye-level finder for HD Movie - The eye-level finder is one of the reasons people love DSLRs. But that finder goes dark whenever you shoot HD Movies. Until now. The Sony SLT-A55V enables you to shoot movies with the added stability you get holding the camera up to your face and using the eye-level finder for framing a scene and focus.
- 921K dot TruBlack LCD screen - Sony's Xtra Fine LCD monitor has 921K dots for superb resolution. The TruBlack screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increasing contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further in bright sunlight.
- Phase Detection Auto Focus - While Contrast Detection AF often hunts for correct focus, Phase Detection AF knows exactly where correct focus is, and goes straight for it. The Sony SLT-A55V is the world's first consumer camera to provide Phase Detection AF when capturing HD movies as well as during still image capture, either using the viewfinder or Live View on the LCD.
- Sweep Panorama Mode - Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter and sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together. Up to 23 MP image size.
- Compact, lightweight deign - Eliminating the moving mirror also reduces the camera's size and weight. It's not just remarkably advanced; it's notably small and light.
- BIONZ image processor - The brains of the camera is a refined version of Sony's BIONZ image processor. Its chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 12800 sensitivity. Also enables 10 fps continuous shooting at full resolution, Sweep Panorama mode and more.
- RAW image capture - Saves your pictures as compact JPEG files or ultra-high quality RAW files or both. RAW files save images prior to de-mosaicing, white balance, sharpness and color enhancement. This retains maximum latitude for enhancing the image on your PC.
- Face Detection technology - The camera can automatically detect up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. Can prioritize children or adults.
- Eight Scene Selection Modes - These help you get the shot by optimizing the camera for specific shooting situations. Select from Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night View, Night Portrait and Handheld Twilight Shot modes.
- P/A/S/M exposure modes - The camera offers a full range of controls from the beginner's AUTO+ mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control.
- Versatile on-screen displays - Informative displays in the LCD monitor and electronic viewfinder include digital level gauge, graphic display of exposure settings.
- Index and Slide Show Display - Quickly review your photos using 6- or 12-frame index views, or as an automatic slide show with fade-in/fade-out effect.
- Quick AF for Full HD Movie Capture - When most DSLRs shoot video, their Contrast AF is slow and visibly "hunts" for focus. The Quick AF Full HD Movie retains the same fast, precise Phase Detection you enjoy for still images. It's a decisive advantage for tracking fast-moving subjects and a major benefit of Translucent Mirror Technology
- Sony Exmor technology - Conventional image sensors use only a handful of analog-to-digital (A/D) converters, which can slow you down. The Exmor sensor provides more than 4,000 column-parallel A/D converters. This helps enable continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second.
- Hand-held Night Shot - Get cleaner and sharper nighttime pictures-beyond the capability of traditional cameras-without using flash or a tripod. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data with separate algorithms for still and moving parts of the picture reduces blur, minimizes noise and enables extraordinary detail.
- Built-in GPS - An integrated GPS receiver records the location and time of every shot you take and lets you view your images on a map with compatible computer and Internet applications, so you can remember where you took your favorite shots.
- 15-point Auto Focus - To maximize the value of Translucent Mirror Technology, Sony incorporates Phase Detection AF of great sophistication. Three cross sensors maximize precision.
- Main Sensor Quick AF Live View - This the world's first DSLR to combine the optimum focus of Phase Detection with high quality Live View images right from the main sensor. This is made possible by Sony Translucent Mirror Technology. You get accurate images and 100% framing on the LCD monitor or eye-level viewfinder.
- ISO 12800 sensitivity - Incredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail, made possible by the low-noise Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ image processor.
- Powerful creative control over movies - While the camera offers fully automatic movie shooting1, you can also control aperture (A mode w/ MF only), white balance and select Creative Style. During a movie shot, you can change the metering mode and adjust exposure compensation.
- Help Guide - Provides ready reference to advanced camera functions, helping to develop your confidence and skills as a photographer.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) - Improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off
- SteadyShot INSIDE stabilization - Image stabilization reduces blur by compensating for camera shake. Typical DSLR systems build image stabilization into selected lenses only. SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization is built into the camera body itself. You'll reduce blur with every a-mount lens, including macro and wide-aperture standard zoom lenses.
- Smile Shutter technology - Captures a smile the moment it happens. Simply select the Smile Shutter(tm) mode and the camera takes the picture automatically. You can prioritize children or adults and adjust the smile sensitivity.
- Six Creative Style settings - Control how the camera processes your images with six finishing styles: Standard, Vivid, B&W, Sunset, Portrait and Landscape. You can even fine-tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness to your personal taste.
- Anti-Dust Technology - Anti-Dust Technology helps keep the CMOS sensor clean, resulting in consistently clear pictures. First a static-free coating on the sensor's low-pass filter helps repel dust. Then vibration automatically dislodges dust from the sensor.
- Slot for two media types - For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC media (Class 4 or higher recommended).
- Remote capability - Works with the RMT-DSLR1 Remote Commander wireless remote control.
Call us toll free at 1-800-321-4726 for customer service & ordering.
Price, images, specifications and descriptions of items are subject to change without notice. We are not responsible for typographical or photographical errors.
Rebates & conditions, and expiration dates from manufacturers are subject to their authorization.